Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Falls to Endicott in Double Overtime, 2-1

Men's Soccer Falls to Endicott in Double Overtime, 2-1

Springfield, Mass. - October 23, 2018 - In a rematch of last season's NCAA Division III Championship Tournament Opening Round contest, the Springfield College men's soccer team fell to Endicott, 2-1, in double overtime on Tuesday night at Brock-Affleck Field. Endicott's Dario Neukom (Palma de Mallorca, Spain) headed home a cross from Joshua Sousa (Dartmouth, Mass.) with 4:35 remaining in the second overtime period to lift the Gulls to victory.

With the loss, Springfield College is now 11-4-1 on the year, while Endicott improves to 10-5-2 overall. Springfield College had a 23-14 shot advantage over 90 minutes of play, including a 13-6 margin in shots on goal. The Pride was also awarded seven corner kicks compared to Endicott's two. 

In net, Camden Spear (Boothbay, Maine) made his first start of the season and made four stops, while his counterpart, Jack Bacon (Lincoln, R.I.) made a career-high 12 saves on the evening.

Just over eight minutes into the contest, Endicott looked to have the first goal of the game when the ball ended up on the foot of Jesse Martinez (Walpole, Mass.), but Spear made a great point-blank save to keep the Gulls at bay. The Pride had its chance just 1:31 later when Ian Zacharewicz (Stamford, Conn.) had a shot on goal, but Bacon turned aside the chance, keeping the score 0-0.

The Pride got on the board in the 22nd minute when Keith Dixon (Amherst, Mass.) sent in a corner kick that was sent long, before Brad Deckel (Lansdale, Pa.) headed the ball back towards the goal mouth, finding an open Zacharewicz who buried his chance with a bicycle kick, making it 1-0 Pride.

The Gulls countered just 14:49 later when Arian Pilja (Arlington, Mass.) drove down the left side before chipping a ball back to the front of the cage, which was headed into the back of the net by Max Robbins (Longmeadow, Mass.) to make the score even at one apiece.

Springfield College had a majority of the scoring chances in the second half, highlighted by a header from Christian Schneider (Douglas, Mass.) which was stopped by Bacon to keep the score at 1-1.

The two sides played back-and-forth for a majority of the overtime periods until the Gulls broke through when Sousa drove down the right side and found Neukom in the middle of the field, who headed a ball into the left side of the net to grant Endicott the victory.

Springfield College will return to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) play on Saturday, October 27 when it hosts Wheaton at 12 p.m. on Brock-Affleck Field.