Peter Avdoulos will enter his 35th season as the head men's and women's diving coach at Springfield College during the 2019-20 academic year. Avdoulos, who is also the Associate Director of Campus Recreation at Springfield College, is regarded as one of the top Division III diving coaches in the nation.
A 1985 graduate of Springfield College, Avdoulos was a standout diver for the Pride, was recently named the 2019 NEWMAC Men's Diving Coach of the Year, marking the 14th time during his tenure on Alden Street that Avdoulos has collected this honor.
Following the 2018-19 season, Avdoulos had student-athletes earn five All-America honors, including Connor Pennington, who was third overall on the one-meter board. In addition to Pennington, who also earned All-America honors on the three-meter board with a ninth-place finish, Sierra Skaza was a two-time All-American with a seventh-place mark on the three-meter board and an 11th-place finish on the one meter. Lastly, freshman Luca Brashear earned the first All-America honor of his young career with an 11th-place finish on the one-meter board.
In 2014, Avdoulos was inducted into the Springfield College Athletic Hall of Fame, becoming the only active head coach on Alden Street to be recognized among the College's greats.
Avdoulos has coached countless All-New England and All-American divers, including four-time All-American Mike Shaw, the first Springfield male diver to win a national title. As a sophomore, Shaw won the Division III National Championship on the three-meter board, while finishing runner-up in the one-meter competition. In his junior campaign, Shaw won the national championship in both events and was named the NCAA Division III National Diver of the Year. He swept the one- and three-meter events at the conference championship to garner NEWMAC Diver of the Year honors all four seasons of his career.
Avdoulos also coached eight-time All-American Lindsay Moore, the Division III Women’s Diver of the Year and national champion on the one-meter board in 2002, and Allison Mellage ’03, the 2001 national champion in three-meter diving.
- Has had student-athletes earn 111 All-America honors during his career with Springfield College, including seven NCAA Division III National Champions and eight All-America honors in the last two seasons.
- Named NEWMAC Diving Coach of the Year 17 times, including a remarkable stretch as both the Men's and Women's Diving Coach of the Year from 2012-2015.
- Guided Springfield College divers to eight-consecutive NEWMAC Diver of the Year honors from 2007-2015.
- Named the NCAA Division III Men's Diving Coach of the Year in 2005, and has been named the NCAA Division III Women's Diving Coach of the Year four times since 1996.
- Selected as the New England Diving Coach of the Year eight times since 1991